Friday, May 11, 2012

`

Super Vegetable Stew

In honor of a friend, I am going to attempt to post a new "super" recipe each week.  This week I made a vegetable stew that uses 6 vegetables, 3 different types of beans and 2 herbs.  What makes soup and stew recipes so easy is that you can often substitute ingredients for whatever you have in your refrigerator and simplify shopping.  Below I included some alternatives that should work just as well the original ingredients.

Ingredients:
2 cups Green Cabbage roughly chopped
4 cups Kale roughly chopped (spinach or chard)
16 oz diced Tomatoes (canned or fresh)
1 cup Carrots diced
1 cup Celery diced
1 cup Onion diced (leeks)
16 oz Coronas Beans (any white bean)
16 oz Chickpeas
2 cups Lentils, precooked (brown rice or edemame)
64 oz + 2 cups Vegetable Broth (chicken broth)
2 tbsps Fresh Basil
2 tbsps Fresh Parsley
Salt to taste 

The most important thing with soups/stews like this one is not what goes in it but the liquid to solid ratio.  This recipe calls for just enough broth to cover the ingredients.  If you want it to be more soupy add more broth and if you like it more stew-y add less!  It's that easy.

Directions:
Added chopped carrots, onions and celery to a large pot and saute with a little oil spray, butter or water (I use Smart Balance Light) until tender. 


 Reduce heat, add cabbage and kale and saute for a few more minutes, stirring often.


 Add the rest of the ingredients except the herbs and simmer until tender about 20 minutes.


Add herbs and simmer 5 minutes more.  Serve as a side or as a meal... enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. This is off topic but I recall you used to drink something that had Apple Cider Vinegar in it. Am I correct or have fuzzy brain? Curious what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you can drink a Apple Cinder Vinegar straight and it does have many health benefits. But I think what you are referring too is Kombucha which also has lots of benefits and is much more palatable than straight vinegar. I love it. Here's a link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36571884/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/trendy-fizzy-drink-mushrooming/#.T60xT7-Ogy4

    Is this it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been drinking 1T of ACV, 1T of Raw Honey, 1T of lemon juice in a cup of hot water. That's why I was asking for a little variety. And yes that is the stuff. Where do you buy it? going to google it now!

    ReplyDelete