Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fruit and Spinach Smoothie

My husband also has trouble eating his fruit and vegetables so this is the smoothie I make for him.  I also give a little to the boys (see below).  Ingredients vary depending on what I have around but here is the basic recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of organic baby spinach (a large handful)
1/2 cup frozen mango (pineapple or banana)
1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries
2 cups juice
2 tsp chia seed (or flax)
splash of almond milk 

Directions:
Add all ingredients to blender or Magic Bullet and spin for 2 minutes or until smooth.


Add enough juice to pretty much cover the other ingredients.


Here is the juice I am currently using.  I like it because it adds another vegetable - carrots- and is made with mango puree.


Juice choice is important.  Choose 100% juice blends with no added sugar preferably one that contain purees.  I have used orange juice, pomegranate and green drinks (like Odawalla's Superfood Green Drink) with good success.  If color is important to you, orange colored juices are the best.

Chia seeds are high in protein, fiber and Omega 3s.  Similar in taste to flax but milder, they also absorb liquid and nicely thicken smoothies.


I take put a couple tablespoons of the smoothie and add it to a juice and water mix for my boys.  They don't like the thickness of the fruit smoothie so watering it down with juice and water works well.  Again I always use the colander to remove any big pieces that might clog the sippy cup.

For picky eaters, it helps to use cups that hide the color.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment