Salad Sandwich
Hands down this is one of my all time favorite summer sandwiches. I call it a Salad Sandwich because it is just that, a salad on bread. It has basil, tomatoes, cheese, spinach, fruit and honey which makes for an amazing combination. It is warm, sweet and full of flavor... and of course nutritious too!
The one I make is more like a wrap/quesadilla. I don't really like most gluten free breads so I use the brown rice wraps from Trader Joes. They are excellent as long as you warm them up a bit, otherwise they are kind of hard. Any bread or tortilla will work.
Ingredients:
- Bread, wrap, tortilla
- Low Fat Cheese (I use Cabots 75% reduced because it has great flavor for being low fat, melts well and already has the lactose enzyme added so I don't have to take one of my cheese pills.)
- Baby spinach
- Honey
- Smart Balance (I use the light)
- Salt to taste
- Optional: raspberries or other fruit (I'm looking forward to try nectarines)
Place ingredients on bread. Make sure to have some cheese touch both slices of bread so the sandwich sticks together making it easier to eat.
Spread a small amount of Smart Balance or other butter spread on each side and cook like a grilled cheese until cheese is melted and tomatoes are warm.
So good! I'm going to make one for lunch today. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

do you toss the ingredients in the honey before you put them on the wrap?
ReplyDeleteNo just drizzle over top. Might be too sticky to toss. Let me know what you think!
ReplyDeletehave made this twice. first without honey for breakfast/brunch. Very tasty, jerry said we could add an egg to it. Last night I made it for Jerry for dinner with honey. He was out back playing with the kids and later told me he thought someone was grilling and that it smelled delicious. I think he ate both 'sandwiches' in two gulps. They honey makes a big difference. I used raw honey and melted it in the micro first. suppose the pan could do that just as well.
ReplyDelete